Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Should my child attend Awana?

 
Parents often ask, “What can I do to help my child become the person I want him/her to be?” My reply is to be intentional in all that you do. Children learn by watching, hearing, seeing and doing.  If you want your children to be good listeners and respond the first time, they need to see you being a good listener and responding the first time.  If you want your children to grow in the knowledge and grace of the Lord, you need to give them opportunities to learn about the Lord and His goodness.  You have them enrolled in a Christian school; you should be attending church regularly and having family time related to Christ.  Show by example because children  learn by example.

Another great opportunity that parents have to strengthen their children’s relationship to the Lord is by enrolling them in Awana.

What is Awana?
Awana is a program that has been intentionally designed to introduce and teach children about Christ and His Word.

It reaches children for Christ through fun scripture experiences that lead them to know, love and serve Him.

Why Should I take my child to Awana?
Awana can positively impact and shape the life of a child.
Active involvement in Awana can strengthen the family.
Our children offer us the greatest opportunity to change the world while impacting it through the knowledge, love and serving of Christ.

Questions Parents May Ask...
I am making plans, setting schedules, and maneuvering through the beginning of a school year; why should I enroll my child in a program that is scheduled in the middle of the week, that begins at 6:15 pm and ends at 7:30 pm, which is past my child’s bedtime and not to mention I would have to study yet another thing with them during the school year?

My child attends Sunday School each Sunday - or at least most Sundays - and even attends a Christian school where scripture memorization is a requirement, and he/she even gets a grade for it! Isn’t that enough memorization?

My family and I just need to stay home, do homework, have some outside play time, do a family devotion, enjoy our time together, get to bed at our set bedtime. Why should I add yet another “to-do” into our family routine?

Our Response...
From a purely worldly perspective, I would agree that all the above questions present viable reasons to not enroll your child in Awana.  But we are not of this world. Our perspective, our focus is on the teaching of God’s Word:

You shall teach them [God’s Words] to your children, talking of them when you are sitting in your house, and when you are walking by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.  Deut. 11:19

God has entrusted this child to you. I would say that nothing can replace the value of learning God’s Word. Children have a much easier capacity for memorization than adults. Now is the time to allow God’s Words to not only find root in your children’s memories, but in their hearts as well.  I urge you if possible, enroll your child in Awana and watch the growth that occurs throughout the course of the year. Children can do several things for extracurricular activities.  I challenge you to make Awana one of them.

“I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.”
Psalm 119:11